There is a number of reasons why people suffer from digestive issues, the most prominent will be diet and lifestyle. However emotions can have such a big impact on your digestive system as well. Anyone who has ever suffered with anxiety will know that the digestive system can be put under tremendous stress.
Reflexology is an amazing therapy for bringing balance and harmony to this system.
As a reflexologist I would work on your digestive system as below but also on every system of the body.
The digestive organ reflex:
- Mouth, teeth, and jaw – Teeth reflex are below the big toenails in dorsal aspect. Jaw reflex is below the big toe joint in the dorsal aspect.
- Esophagus – reflex is from the big toe base to the diaphragm line.
- Stomach – reflexes are in both foot from the diaphragm until waistline; in zone 1 (for right foot) and zone 1 to 4 (for left foot).
- Liver and gallbladder – reflex is on the right foot only; from the diaphragm until waistline, in zones 3 to 5.
- Pancreas – reflex is below stomach reflex on both foot; in zone 1 (for right foot) and zones 1 to 4 (for left foot).
- Small intestine – reflex is on both right and left foot; in zone 1 to 4, from waistline until the pelvic line.
- Large intestine – reflex is on both right and left foot; in zone 1 to 5, from waistline until the pelvic line.
I know from the vast amount of research that’s out there now – reflexology can profoundly affect the parasympathetic nervous system and has the greatest potential to reduce stress.
It’s useful to “listen” very carefully to what the feet will tell you here. Any changes in tissue texture found on the arch will add the digestive system to my menu of reflex areas to detail in the session.
And, for self-help, the access we have to the “soft belly” or arch of the foot is such that it’s almost made to rest our hand and scoop into it.
Even a few minutes of general work can make a difference. But, when you detail the specific reflexes research proves that our effectiveness can increase threefold!
Little video from part of my Reflexology Course is available free here